Permit Information




Customs Info

Working In the NWT



Although there is no formal permitting system for filming in the Northwest Territories, permits, proof of insurance and documented permissions may be required for certain production activities on:

  • traditional land
  • publicly owned land or properties
  • protected areas or historical sites, public streets and territorial highways
  • ice roads or in airports
  • observing wildlife

Some municipal governments have guidelines regarding filming in its jurisdiction. This includes parking regulations and policies regarding late night activities and procedures for notification.

We are happy to work with producers and location managers to assist with permit requirements and gaining permission.  Please contact the office of the Film Commissioner for assistance.






To film on municipal lands in Yellowknife a filming license is required and additional paperwork may be needed. Applications need to be received 10 business days before the start date of a filming project in order to guarantee timely delivery of a Filming License. The Department of Communications and Economic Development will review your applications and get in touch with you.


Applying for a filming license:

  1. Read Filming GuidelinesFilming License Agreement and Hold Harmless Agreement before submitting an application
  2. Submit Production Information Form to apply for a Filming License
  3. The Department of Communications and Economic Development reviews application
  4. The Department of Communications and Economic Development communicates with producers on additional documentation, payment and will send a customized version of the Filming License Agreement.


Orderly Use of Highway Permit Application (Road Closures)

City of Yellowknife Locations





All inquiries and applications to film on Hamlet of Tuktoyaktuk land should be directed in the first instance to the Senior Administrative Officer (, or to the Manager of Community and Recreation Programs (  ‘Land’ includes roads and rights of way, facilities, parks and public spaces.  See Hamlet of Tuktoyaktuk Filming Policy for application requirements.





If you are planning to film on traditional lands make sure you read our Aboriginal Land information for all necessary contacts in each region.




If you are planning to film, interact with, manipulate or undertake close observation of big game species like caribou, wolves, muskox or other wildlife in the Northwest Territories you may be required to apply for a Wildlife Observation Permit (Wildlife Observation Permit application form). More information is available from the Department of Environment and Natural Resources





To film or photograph in national parks, an application must be submitted to Parks Canada ten days prior to activities.  If approved, a Film/Photography permit will be issued which outlines conditions and supplementary requirements associated with the production.  The following information will assist in the preparation of a film/photography application.

Through the application process, Parks Canada can provide you with:

  • Details on park regulations, conditions and requirements.  *Note: all film/photography activities must comply with National Park Regulations, policies and conditions.
  • Consultation and advice on film/photography opportunities and locations.  *Note: all locations must be determined prior to a permit being issued
  • Liaison with other Rocky Mountain National Parks.  *Note: One application and Film/Photography permit can cover multiple national parks.
  • Assistance with interviews with park staff and specialists.  *Note: Interviews may be available depending on scope of project and availability of staff.

Read over the regulations, costs and contacts for filming in a National Park in these guidelines.





Find out if you need permission from Transport Canada here.


Special Flight Operations Certificate (SFOC)

An SFOC provides an approval to operate unmanned air vehicle (UAV) (non-recreational drone) and tells you how and where you may fly.


Transport Canada has developed a new standardized SFOC application form to make applying for an SFOC easier. Applying for an SFOC is free.


Prior to applying for an SFOC, UAV Operators are expected to review and understand the requirements to operate a UAV in Canada by reviewing the UAV Staff Instruction.  Send the completed SFOC application form and the documentation specified in the application to the Transport Canada Civil Aviation Regional Office in the region where you intend to fly your UAV.  For more information on applying for an SFOC, click here.


Flying For Fun? Click here.





To film or photograph on public highways, ice & winter roads, airports, and ferries in the Northwest Territories, an application must be submitted to the Department of Infrastructure (INF) at least two weeks prior to any activities.  In your application, please indicate the purpose and scope of the request, such as possible locations, dates and any relevant information about you or the company/organization you represent. The information will assist in the preparation of a film/photography permit.


If your request is approved, a film/photography permit will be issued which outlines conditions and supplementary requirements associated with the production. 


 Through the application process, INF can:

  • Provide details on conditions and requirements.
  • Provide advice on film/photography opportunities and locations.
  • Assist with arranging interviews with INF staff when possible.

If you’re interested in filming in any of the locations mentioned above, please email